Discuss 7 problems in our community area, Click here to go there
WARNING - Windows 7 does not have an uninstall option in add/remove programs, upgrade is permanent. You should parallel install 7 at the beginning until you get use to it.
Remove Windows 7 from duel boot XP system Option 1
Remove Windows 7 from duel boot XP system Option 2
Remove 7 from duel boot Vista system
Removing Windows 7 from a duel boot system is not a task for the faint hearted, so make sure you do a full back up before trying. as there is a chance of hard drive destruction.
The main reason for this problem is the new boot loader. So follow the next steps after you backup
Make double sure you have backed up.
Now boot of your XP CD
Boot into recovery console by pressing "R" at the following screen.
- Type command "FIXBOOT C:" (No speech marks)
- Next type "FIXMBR", read serious warning messages and press "Y" to continue
- Exit and reboot.
- Finally edit Boot.ini and delete line with "Windows 7" on it and delete the folder 7 resides in.
Boot your computer in to Windows XP.
Ensure you have the XP or 7 DVD in the DVD drive.
Go to “Start” and “Run” (Or Windows Key + R). Type in “d:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force” (without quotes, plus replace d: with the drive letter of your Windows DVD).
Restart the computer, and you will notice the boot selection menu is gone.
Format the partition/drive where you had 7 installed.
Remove two files (Boot.BAK & Bootsect.BAK) on your XP/7 root folder (C:)..
And now you have returned your computer to its previous state, without Windows 7 and without the new bootloader.
Click here to Discuss issues
- Format partition Windows 7 is installed on (Backup all your files first)
- Run Windows Vista startup repair, guide here : Repair startup in Vista Guide